Monday, March 11, 2013

Fighting the Unknown

I do not talk about my illness very much, but I think it is important for others to be informed.
On November 7, 2012 everything changed.  I went to the hospital with a severe headache and nausea where I learned my blood pressure was 217/137-basically death level.  A short time later I had a seizure and do not remember anything that happened the rest of the night.  I was admitted into MICU where I had to be monitored because I was on a blood pressure drip medicine.

I spent four days in MICU with doctors running every kind of test you can imagine.  I saw a lung doctor, a kidney doctor, a neurologist, and a heart doctor.  All of the tests showed up negative and obviously the doctors had no idea what was going on.  My kidney doctor, who is wonderful, thought I needed a kidney biopsy.  I agreed and a few days later the procedure was done.  My kidney doctor was 99% sure it was Lupus-an autoimmune disease.

After being released from MICU I stayed in a regular room for six days.  The doctors did not have anything figured out by the time I was released.  My kidney biopsy results were received about a week later.  The results:  Diffuse Scleroderma.  I suffered what is called a Scleroderma Renal Crisis-basically your kidneys fail.  I lost 40% of my kidneys that I will never get back.  Diffuse Scleroderma is the thickening of arteries.  The arteries in my kidneys thickened and no blood could flow through, causing part of them to die.  It is a rare disease that cannot be cured. 

I am doing much better now and continue to improve.  Having support from my family has pushed me through the hardest of times.  I will not feel sorry for myself because having a home in Heaven is my goal here on earth.  The day I feel sorry for myself is the day Satan starts creeping in.  There are still hard days where Satan tries to take over but I know that his way only leads to destruction.  Matthew 7:13-14 states, "Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:  Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it."

3 comments:

  1. I need to copy and paste that last paragraph about feeling sorry for self into my own brain and recite it every day for the rest of my life! Such excellent and wise words. I will keep you in my prayers, Amanda. Your strength and courage is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. Your faith, attitude and strength are amazing. You are truly an inspiration to us all! Love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Amanda, you will remain in our prayers. I appreciate your exemplary faith. What an encouragement to me, and I'm sure many others, you are by facing this with such courage. May God bless you. - Leland Fleming

    ReplyDelete